In the past week I have had the privilege of traveling (and flying) to two different places- one for fun and one for business (that was fun, too!) One was to a place I had never been, the other to a place I have been many times, but we did things we had not done in the past. I used to travel a lot, but since starting my own business, the travel has been much less. I was reminded of the benefits and perks of going somewhere, away from home, for a few days.
Here they are, in my book, and in no specific order:
1. You get a fresh perspective on life. Being around others, people you do not get to spend time around on a regular bases, and new people that you have just met will challenge you to expand your mindset.
2. You get to relax, away from your day to day responsibilities. A break in routine is a great way to shake things up.
3. You have access to restaurants, products, shops and entertainment that you don’t have at home.
4. Visiting new places has a direct affect on positive mindset. One one trip this week to New York City my daughter and I spent a day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Yes, we could read about the exhibits and even see them online, but there is nothing like standing in the direct presence of masterpieces. The learning that we had coming from doing something that we felt pure joy doing was such an amazing experience.
5. You can sleep in a little- no dogs wake you up!
6. Plenty of time for exercise when you don’t have your usual pile of duties, and possible excuses for not doing it. I find getting outside in the morning to work out so much fun because it allows me to find beautiful places to enjoy in each area I am in. I was able to do that and do some exploring at the same time, in both areas I visited this past week. It is an incredibly uplifting way to start the day.
7. You get to enjoy a break, but appreciate home so much more upon return! There really is no place like home, but you are apt to forget that if you don’t GO SOMEWHERE!
Here’s your challenge- this week plan a get away- whether for a day, or a week or more. Schedule it in. Whether by plane, train, or automobile- make the plan, reservations and make it official. The beauty is not just in the trip, but in the looking forward to the trip. Where would you like to go?